Heritage Day (Erfgoeddag) is held annually on the first Sunday after the Easter Holidays, the next being on Sunday 24th of April 2022. Heritage Day is free of charge. Heritage Day is first of all a celebration. Its approach, public reach, innovative role, and – especially – the commitment of those involved, have made Heritage Day one of the most important heritage events in Flanders and Brussels. Heritage Day places cultural heritage in the spotlight for the sector itself, the public, the media, and policy makers in our country.
Each year Heritage Day is made possible by the museums, archives, churchwardens, documentation centres, collecting libraries, local heritage centres and organisations dedicated to folk culture, but also by cultural clubs, public libraries, youth organisations, academies/universities and other schools. Every year this results in a fantastic, rich and diverse selection of activities.
- Heritage Day wants everybody to interact with cultural heritage in his or her own daily environment in a contemporary, qualitative and meaningful manner.
- All initiatives are aimed at explaining cultural heritage in order to realise a change in the public perception of and approach to heritage.
- Heritage Day is also meant to encourage members across the industry to work together, to cultivate innovative impulses and to place the sector’s own activities in a contemporary perspective.
- In addition, Heritage Day wants to stimulate reflection on matters such as heritage education, improving accessibility to the public, and sustainability.
- Heritage Day focuses on the movable (objects) and the intangible (stories, traditional techniques and skills) and thus differs from the Open Monument Day, which concentrates on architecture and other immovable heritage.
- Heritage Day is one of the biggest events for cultural heritage in Flanders. Participation in the Heritage Day implies an extra and remarkable effort to make heritage accessible. ‘Opening the doors’ should be just a starting point and certainly not a final destination.
If you need more information, do reach out to us. We are happy to help!
Co-ordination Heritage Day
p/a FARO. Flemish Interface for Cultural Heritage
+32 2 213 10 60